Monday, May 7, 2007
Serious cell phone attachment


Ok, so I was thinking that there was a day back in the day when I thought cell phones were completely ridiculous! I remember having this discussion with my best friend Lisa. She had to have a cell phone, I thought "why?" Lisa and I grew up using pay phones. Keep in mind, these were the same pay phones that we would give out numbers to so boys wouldn't call our homes or parents wouldn't know what we were really up to.
Then we grew up...we used pay phones to call our husbands to say we wouldn't be home on time. See we OWNED South Coast Plaza, Main Place Mall, or any baby store in the South County area, and we could stay out all day and all night shopping, pushing babies in strollers, eating out, hanging out with the babies. Even knowing where the closest pay phone was to call the hubby's!
So, why the need for a cell phone? Lisa had this heavy big phone to start off with, you could definitely find it in the diaper bag, it was the biggest thing in there! It was almost silly but fun to have. We used it to call her husband or mine, usually to say we were going to be late and only if we could find service. It was the challenge.
So, then I decided I needed a cell phone, probably 2 years after her. I hated my first phone, again never having service, paying the bill for lost connections, and the list went on. I resorted to not having one again and just giving into the pay phone life again.
10 years later I have a cell phone, probably my 10th one. I love my phone, it's pink and I usually have service (unless Brian is calling from that horrendous Nextel thing), I usually can find it, I love the way it rings for different people, I love that it connects me to my husband (unless he is in the high Sierra's like right now), it connects me to my children, it connects me to my friends, it has text messaging (which by the way...I love and have unlimited service to), it makes me feel safe, it is one of my best friends!
My cell phone is attached to me at most times. I left the house without it last Monday and seriously thought I was naked. If I wasn't late for an appointment I would have gone back and got it. I wanted to apologize to it for leaving it when I got back. I swear I had to wipe a tear when we were reunited hours later. I had all these thoughts, "what if my kids need me?" "what if I needed to get to my sick friend and they couldn't get me?"
Is this sane? Why do I need this thing? I think I will start leaving it in the car, at home, or giving it a break! NOT! I am sickly attached to this thing! Why could I survive all those years (for you youngsters, there was a day when there was no such thing as cell phones)without this thing attached?
Gotta go, daughter is calling my cell phone FROM HER ROOM at 6:11am!!!!






3 Comments:
Blogger Julie Hibbard had this to say:

I think cell phones are one of the best inventions ever. I went to high school at Mater Dei, and we lived in Lake Forest. Do you know how many times my old Volkswagen Rabbit broke down on the freeway or in Huntington Beach and I had no way to call anyone? It was crazy. My parents would have loved a way for us kids to have been in contact with them. I think it's a lifesaver in so many ways. I also love the certain rings so I know it's Allison or Zac or my mother!!
Thanks for sharing!

May 7, 2007 at 8:50 AM 

Blogger Insured Asset Solutions had this to say:

That's just a SICK addiction that you have.

May 8, 2007 at 3:58 AM 

Blogger Heather McTaggart had this to say:

Who's phone beeps every two seconds? That would be yours! You are SO addicted! Don't point elbows my friend...with your addiction to Nextel!

May 8, 2007 at 6:28 AM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page


Heather McTaggart
The wife of an amazing, funny, incredible man! The mother of 3 God loving amazing young persons!

- - Heather subscriptions in Google Reader




Shopping

Movies



Powered by: Blogger
Illustration by:Wai
- - Heather subscriptions in Google Reader