Thursday, December 27, 2007
Dear Parents, LET ME!

I realized this Christmas just how much each moment means one more step that my children are inching towards growing up. I realized that it's just about time for each of them to say "Let me" in a new way and a new journey for each of them.



If they could articulate and tell me just what is happening to them or write me a letter here is what I am sure each one would say:

Dear Dad and Mom,

Let me grow up and prepare for the new world that awaits me as college approaches. Let me drive to places not within a 10 mile radius. Let me see my life as an adult but I want to hang on to my childhood just a little longer. Let me find my path and guide me but not control me. Hug me, hold me and don't say a word when you do just so I know you are there. Teach me to be forgiving and loving even when it's hard. Right now, this is a hard one but I have to figure it out, just walk beside me. Being a teenage girl sometimes stinks, but show me that being a "GIRL FOR GOD" is my goal!

Love, Holly



Dear Dad and Mom,

Let me navigate away from the "mommy boy/daddy boy" stage and be looked at like a man who now stands 6'1 and wears a size 17 shoe. Let me grow away from the "needing you" to the "knowing you are there but not acknowledging it" stage because I am a boy trying to find a man inside. Let me argue with my little sister and let me work it out on my own, I do realize I need to be her protector but I also have a duty in life to make sure she knows I am still her big brother. Let me show you how hard I can work, build things, put things together, lift things and be the man that you have trained me to be. Let me make mistakes but guide me when you see them AFTER! Teach me to be a Godly man who leans on him.

Love, Matt



Dear Daddy and Mommy,

Yes, I still believe in Santa (or at least that's what I want you to think) so the mysteries of Christmas can still be mine to hold onto! Yes, I want everyone to tell me that Santa is coming, and he brought me the things that I dreamed of. Yes, I still want to play with dolls, dig in the dirt,and eat lots of sugar, but I want you to help me clean up my dolls, make sure I get clean after I play in the mud and hold me when my tummy hurts from all that sugar. Yes, I want to say "mine" still when my brother and sister play with my new toys but show me how to share. Most of all, make memories that include me. Share the same traditions that you have started before I was born into my wonderful family. I don't want to be left out.
I know I am the pesky little sister, THAT'S MY JOB! Guide me and show me your road map so I don't get lost in this big world that I have to tag along in. Remind me to love, forgive, accept, and honor God in all I do. Hold me and talk to me when you do, tell me you love me, tell me that people love me, tell me that I am SO LOVED for the sweet girl I want to be! I love you more than you know and I am willing to run into your arms and tell you this right now, don't blink though!

Love, Kelly

I am not sad, I am not mourning their growing up, I am excited that each Christmas brings new realizations of what the next year will hold. I am watching them change and Christmas seems to be a mark to their growth and change. I think it's because we are buying them "grown up" gifts, sharing their time with their relationships, and it's a milestone marker. I am great with this, they are growing up to be the people we have raised them to be, it makes me proud! I know there will be days when I miss the noise and toys of Christmas morning but right now...I am holding onto this roller coaster of life and cherishing every Christmas and all the days that mark new changes.






1 Comments:
Blogger Julie Hibbard had this to say:

Hold tight and don't blink.
But when they are finally all grown and gone--call me.
We can have that glass of wine we have talked about...er, I mean that cup of coffee..yeah, that's it--coffee!
:)

December 28, 2007 at 10:40 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page


Heather McTaggart
The wife of an amazing, funny, incredible man! The mother of 3 God loving amazing young persons!

- - Heather subscriptions in Google Reader




Shopping

Movies



Powered by: Blogger
Illustration by:Wai
- - Heather subscriptions in Google Reader