Tuesday, September 11, 2007
More 411 for Pete!


So, someday you and Julie will have to sit down and teach me to hold on and let go! I am no different than any other mom who loves their kids and holds them close and dear. I breath a little deeper and release a little more as my oldest grows up SO fast and I let go a little more.
On Friday a friend told me about a car for sale, I didn't plan on buying her a car just yet but felt that this was a good opportunity. We bought her a Ford Explorer Limited USED, it's maroon...but I think it looks purple! We decided that it was a strong enough car to hold our precious cargo (Holly)! My nerves have been shot since we purchased the car.
The reason my nerves were shot was because I wanted some re-assurance that we were making the right decision. I also wanted to make her birthday special and a huge surprise! I was having anxioty attacks about pulling it off!
Here's the details to that part of the story...David and I drove the car to Brian's house in the afternoon and he drove it to Buco De Peppo. I had parked my car in the very first stall and when we were in the middle of dinner, we switched the cars so her's would be parked there when she walked out. As we walked out of the restaurant we handed her a little bag with the keys, she looked up and screamed at the top of her lungs! Brian had made a sign that said "HAPPY 16th BIRTHDAY!" only to realize it was her 17th birthday (he changed it quickly)! Brian had the car detailed and cleaned....it looked amazing!
So, there you have it...she will have her license by the end of next week so watch out!
AGAIN...I blinked and she grew up to be the most amazing young woman with the world at her fingertips! She is brillant, beautiful and makes us proud to call her our daughter!

PS...THANK GOD FOR GOOD STUDENT DISCOUNT INSURANCE!






3 Comments:
Blogger PETE Di LALLO had this to say:

Hold on and let go? That's a joke!
We've been holding on for decades and you will too...
A first car for a child is wonderful...with cell phones (which we didn't have)when she's out on the road you can call her every five minutes to see if she's OK...you will sleep even less...
Good student discount is great but you should know that girls are cheaper to insure than boys...I sort of made out on that...but times five I'm not sure

p.s. Julie, what do you think?

September 12, 2007 at 10:49 AM 

Blogger Julie Hibbard had this to say:

Nope, you never really let go. And you never stop thinking about when they were born, when they were 3, when they...
the memories are what gets you through. AND..you keep making memories. It is actually really fun now to have kids who are in their MID 20s (ouch!) and meet them at a restaurant for dinner!
You DO have to keep your own life tho. And your own identity. There is a LOT of time on the OTHER end of parenting (more for some of us!) and you don't want to be pestering them all the time to hang out with you.
I am happy that my kids are independent and have great friends of their own. That's the idea...
they move on.
But you don't really let go.
Just don't tell them.

September 12, 2007 at 7:31 PM 

Blogger Heather McTaggart had this to say:

Thanks Pete and Jules...love the responses! Yes, I am realizing letting go is easier and difficult all at the same time! I love watching their lives grow and love watching and hearing how they are developing relationships and activities without us! It's so fun to watch them grow up, but that little knot in the back of my throat gets harder to swallow everytime I let go a little more! I cherish your responses, they are SO full of wisdom! Jul...I have your bowl, um...does that mean we need to meet for a meal?

September 13, 2007 at 1:02 AM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page


Heather McTaggart
The wife of an amazing, funny, incredible man! The mother of 3 God loving amazing young persons!

- - Heather subscriptions in Google Reader




Shopping

Movies



Powered by: Blogger
Illustration by:Wai
- - Heather subscriptions in Google Reader