Thursday, August 9, 2007
First time/Last time...


We have had the last 4 days with just Kelly. I have loved my time with her, I love just listening to her, spending time with her, and watching her. I know, I should have been doing this ALL along, but with 3 kids and a crazy schedule I forget how much time and fun it is to give to one of your children one on one!
Every night since she started hearing (another story, another time but basically she didn't hear for her first 3 1/2 years of her life), she and her daddy have had a regular routine at night, get jammies on, brush teeth, and pick out a book only daddy can read! Sometimes she chooses to have a story about daddy growing up. But that is not my point, tonight they did their regular routine and it hit me...when did daddy stop carrying to me to kiss me and hug me, when did she start running in and doing that without being carried? When was the last time daddy carried her to me? I miss those days and just let that last time fade into the days of growing up.

Then it hit me...so many firsts and so many lasts come and go and we blink and miss those last moments of one more hug, memory or even just moment to stop and reflect on the successes of where we are in life.

When did it become ok for my kids to jump out of the car without a hug or a kiss when I drop them off? Will I cherish that last day that Kelly does that or will it also just fade with the days? When did it become ok for Holly and Matt to leave for camp while I worked and not watch the bus drive away? When did I think it wasn't ok for me not to wave them off?

Last night David and I were reflecting on the days when Kristi (see earlier story about raising her) came to live with us and playing the "what if" game. We both realized that we can "what if" like crazy but there isn't a moment or a memory whether good or bad that we don't cherish about Kristi. I thank God for that! So, remembering the last time she walked out of our door, or kissed our children, are our memories.

I have so many moments I wished I would have just stopped, even for a moment. These moments aren't selective to my husband and children, they are with friends, with memories, and just plain life. I love the idea of slowing down and seeing these memories one more time.

Time to slow down and reflect on first's and last's. I need reminders to do this...my family and friends are SO incredibly important to me! I want their memories to be scrapbooked in my head!






5 Comments:
Blogger Julie Hibbard had this to say:

You are the best. I lived my whole life with my kids this way. Kissing and holding and loving them every chance I got. I remember enjoying the traffic in the high school parking lot knowing that the time in the car with the kids would be priceless and gone too soon. I loved each precious moment with my kids. You do too. I will HONESTLY tell you...as a mom of two full grown adults...I have no regrets. Not one. I loved the moments, the memories and I cherish them. NOW, I enjoy and make memories every minute of every day. No regrets. Today is all we have and tomorrow you want to be able to remember how fun and great it was...you've got it right, Heather.
You will be in the same place I am 10 years from now.
Maybe then we can go for breakfast!

August 10, 2007 at 9:47 PM 

Blogger Heather McTaggart had this to say:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT! I love that you understand! My kids are home today from camp, my heart skipped a beat when I saw them...how silly but energizing! I love being a mom and I love hearing your stories about being a mom! THANK YOU! Breakfast? See you Wed! Can't wait!

August 11, 2007 at 11:02 PM 

Blogger PETE Di LALLO had this to say:

Breakfast Wednesday? This Wednesday? in two days?
Is it only for young mothers?
Are you guys kissing me off?
What is up?

August 13, 2007 at 9:26 AM 

Blogger PETE Di LALLO had this to say:

NEVERMIND!!!
Julie has us RSVP'D for the blog buddy party Wednesday evening...
sorry to disappoint but my bathing suit is at the cleaners...
looking forward to the big gig...
see ya there...

August 13, 2007 at 2:47 PM 

Blogger Heather McTaggart had this to say:

YEAH...can't wait! We should have a cake that says BLOGGERS PARTY...oh that's right it has to say "Happy Birthday Brian"...but we all know it's about our meeting...no one else has to know...ha ha!

August 13, 2007 at 11:38 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page


Heather McTaggart
The wife of an amazing, funny, incredible man! The mother of 3 God loving amazing young persons!

- - Heather subscriptions in Google Reader




Shopping

Movies



Powered by: Blogger
Illustration by:Wai
- - Heather subscriptions in Google Reader