Tuesday, May 6, 2008
High School....

This was my high school: Yes I realize it's still very 60's looking!

Remember high school? Did you like it, love it, hate it? Do you miss it or are you glad you never have to go back? This subject has come up quite a bit lately and I am not sure why. Could it be that we are realizing just how old we are getting and wish we could go back?
I didn't hate it, I didn't totally love it. I loved my friends, the ones that I still know today. I didn't love that I lived in a small town in Humboldt County where people knew too much about everyone's lives, but I loved that I lived in a small town where I felt safe amongst the people who knew about my life, confusing isn't it?

Ok, here is the real reason I ask these questions and ponder life today versus life in the late 70's early 80's (VERY EARLY 80's)! What was I thinking during those years, clearly I have forgotten...So I ask for my daughter some important questions.

My daughter is going to be a senior next year.
She has gone to school with the same kids almost her entire life.
She started school with some of these kids, yet she tells me tonight she doesn't really feel that she knows them. That confuses me, I ask her why she feels this way? My daughter is a full year older than most of her class (thanks to one year in Seattle and the cut off age for starting school), she hates that she is a full year older.
She tells me today that she feels that her peers are so much younger than she is and she can't relate to the "girl drama" the high school "yuck" and she can't wait to finish.
I have realized with her that she is not the same as most high school girls and her peers seem to be quite a few years older than she is.
I am sad for her that she feels she is "done" with the high school and won't walk away with a great memories of fun, struggles and high school memories we all had. She has made the choice to attend college this next year as well as finish her senior year, she will take calculus and chemistry at our local junior college, as I am proud I am sad that she will spend her days studying things I don't understand (really, where she gets her smarts from confuses me)!
I wondered today if she will regret not connecting at school and church with peers her own age?
She loves the college ministry at church, she loves the college connections she has made, but will she remember not having those same connections in high school?
Am I worrying about something she will not ever worry about or regret?

High School...is it a blink of an eye or a memory not to be wasted? Wish I had a crystal ball or a look at what she will be thinking in 25/30 years? I will never try to try to change how she thinks now, it is her life and she is one of the smartest people I have EVER known, I just have wonders as these memorable years come to a close for her.

When did being a mother to a smart, bright, intelligent daughter become so confusing? Really she was the easiest child to parent!






1 Comments:
Blogger PETE Di LALLO had this to say:

I love this blog...
makes me think of my high school, friends in Montreal which I attended for two years before moving to sunny California with my family...
I never wished to go back to Loyola high school where all the teachers were Jesuit priests...but they were cool, (no perverts in those days) and besides making you learn subjects like Latin, Geography and History they thought us how to play hockey, soccer and baseball.
if we hadn't moved we wouldn't have Julie, Gina, Debby, Leesa and Sarah...and their eight little (and big) ones...

May 8, 2008 at 12:06 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page


Heather McTaggart
The wife of an amazing, funny, incredible man! The mother of 3 God loving amazing young persons!

- - Heather subscriptions in Google Reader




Shopping

Movies



Powered by: Blogger
Illustration by:Wai
- - Heather subscriptions in Google Reader